We all like perfection. And let’s face it, most of us have less than perfect garages (or none at all)! So, when preparing for the perfect prefab two car garage to fit your needs may, the first question should be:
What are the Minimum 2-Car Garage Dimensions?
Most experts say the minimum recommended dimensions for a two-car garage is 20×20. This size two car garage will give space for two smaller vehicles. You won’t have much space for storing extra knick-knacks, but it should get the cars inside.
So what are a few challenges of buying the smallest two car garage?
- If you store two cars inside the two car garage, there will be very little space for the garden tools, a workbench or other accessories.
- The garage doors will be 8’ wide instead of 9’ or 10’. Although your small car will easily fit through the garage door, an extra foot on your garage doors can make a big difference when using the mirrors to back into the garage.
- The car doors might hit the walls. When you open the car doors inside the minimum sized 20×20 garage, you might just end up scratching the car door when you’re in a hurry to get in and out.
In short, the minimum dimensions for a 2 car garage should be 20’x20′ and to make extra space to get in and out of the car, it is recommended to go with 24’x24′ or larger.
If you want to keep your vehicle looking nice and want extra space for other things, a bit wider and deeper will go a long way.
While 20×20 is the minimum size of a two-car garage, if you want to keep your vehicle looking nice and want extra space for other things, consider going a bit larger.
WHAT ARE THE Average 2-CAR GARAGE DIMENSIONS?
Note that there is a difference between the minimum size of a 2-car garage and the average size of a 2-car garage.
Have you ever met an average-sized person? The problem with average is that no one person perfectly fits the “average” mold. It simply means a middle ground, and your needs may be above average or less than average. Let’s break it down the average garage size question further:
a. Width: What is the best width of a 2-car garage?
The average width of a car is around 6 to 6.5 feet. Add a few feet on either side to get in and out of a vehicle and you will soon be close to the 20-foot width of the minimum garage size. If your property has space and your township gives permission, we recommend going at least 24’ wide. You will love the extra width for getting in and out of your car when it is parked inside the garage. If you can’t go 24’ wide on your garage, a 22’ wide garage would still give you a bit more space to play with.
b. Length: How long should your 2-car garage be?
That all depends again on the size of your vehicle and what you hope to do inside the two car garage besides parking. Most of us want to store more in our two-car garage than Old Bessie and her sidekick. Add an ATV, a motorcycle, or even a few bicycles and your garage can quickly become crowded. Put some shelves on the walls, or add a workbench or two and watch your floor space shrink!
c. It depends on the size of your vehicle and what else you wish to store
Keep in mind that a typical sedan (here we go again) is about 17 feet long. If you want room to get around the back of your vehicle with the garage door closed you may want to go more than 24 feet deep. You might also consider adding 4 more feet for a workbench so you have space to tinker with the car inside. If you really want space to work on your vehicle inside the garage, then you should consider a 30’ long two car garage.
Bottom line, the average size two car garage is 24×24 or 24×30, but it also depends a lot on what you want to put inside. Note, we said “average sized garage,” not the minimum sized two car garage.
Here are a few visual aids from Decosoup.com to help give think about what the best dimensions of a 2 car garage might be for you. It may help you decide to build bigger.
Bottom line, the average size two car garage is 24×24 or 24×30, but it also depends a lot on what you want to put inside.
What aBOUT 2-car Garage height dimensions?
Think about this: Extra Height in your garage means extra storage space.
You might think that all car garages have a standard ceiling height. Even that is adjustable according to your needs. Note the difference here between a standard two car garage from Sheds Unlimited and a garage with attic space. Obviously, the height dimensions of the two garages are quite different and offer a vastly different amount of storage space.
However, just to keep it simple, the average ceiling height in a two car garage is about eight feet and the typical garage door is 7 feet high. If you have a full-sized pickup truck or van to store inside the garage you may need to go with a larger dimension in both two car garage and garage door size.
Keep in mind that in order to install an opener a minimum of two inches of headroom is needed above the garage door where it comes closest to the ceiling during travel. One advantage of looking at a Sheds Unlimited Two Car Garage is that most of our garages have the options of increasing the height dimensions.
Here are a few examples of the Height Dimensions of our Two Car Garages:
- Our Standard Workshop 2 Car Garage Height is around 12’
- An Attic Two Car Garage ranges from 13’ to 20’ depending on how much storage one wants in the attic space
- Two Story Garages could also go up to 20’ or more depending on the width of the garage
How to expand the Interior Dimensions of your 2-Car Garage
If you only have a certain amount of ground you can cover on your property, there are several ways to get more storage space inside your two car garage.
- Add shelves inside the car garage for using up the wall space
- Increase the height dimension of the two car garage with higher walls.
- Install an attic truss system. The attic two car garage comes with a full sized stairway and a floor space for lots of extra storage space.
- Go even higher with a full second floor and even add dormers to create a garage with apartment space or a small workspace. The Legacy Two Story Garages are amazing when it comes to extra room.
Going higher gives you the same ground cover but much more interior space for whatever you want to do with it.
What is the price of a 2-car garage?
We knew you’d come to that question! Everything comes with a cost, even an average size two car garage!
If you want the long answer, read out post on How much does a two car garage cost?
Otherwise, here are just a few of Sheds Unlimited’s Spring 2018 prices. They may of course change without advance notice, but you can always find the updated prices online.
- Believe it or not, you can get a 20×20 Modular Two Car Garage for only $15,107! That includes the floor, set up on your prepared pad, and all. It will be ready to go for a very reasonable cost. They even offer 20 miles of free delivery!
- The next step is a prefab garage built on a concrete pad. The basic cost for a 20×20 with two doors and setup with 20 miles of Sheds Unlimited will be around $18,021. A 24×24 2 car garage will start at under $22,031. Now that price is a basic one-story two-car garage. If you want more, it will cost!
- Attic Garages give you a lot more space for the money. A 24×24 Attic Two Car Garage comes with a stairway, 8’x24’ storage area in the attic, and an 8/12 roof pitch all around $30,927. Again, that is built on a concrete pad within 20 miles. Extra mileage fees apply outside of that.
- Think bigger and go with a two-story garage. The 24×24 Workshop Two Story Garages start at $38,101. Don’t miss the dormers! They create the space to build your man cave on the second floor!
In Summary, how big should my two car garage be?
The focus here should be on “my” two-car garage. Since everyone’s needs are different, go as large as needed to accommodate your need. One of the most common comments people make concerning garage size is, “I wish it were bigger.” I’ve never heard anyone say their garage is too big. Think about going larger than a typical two-car garage; it will give you extra space.
Other Resources for Choosing the Best 2-CAR GARAGE DIMENSIONS
For more discussion on the average size garage, check out houzz.com for some interesting homeowner conversations concerning garage size.
Watch this video at garagehowto.com.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I own a VW Beetle or a full-sized SUV?
- What size are my vehicles
- Am I planning to store more in your two-car garage than two vehicles?
- Do I need storage shelves in front of your vehicle? Beside it?
- Do I need a workbench?
- Is there anyone in my household who needs a small apartment or workspace above the garage?
- Do I have room on your property for one of the larger two-car garages?
- Is extra storage space important to me?
the Next Steps to Get a 2-Car Garage…
When you finally figure out the best 2-car garage dimensions for your needs, you are ready for the next steps. From here you can:
- View the Garage Prices online. Start here and choose the garage you like. If you drill down you will find prices.
- Request a Free Estimate for the size garage you have chosen. You can add your options and the price will come back with setup and delivery included.
- Work with your township to find out what it takes to get approval for the garage.
- Request a set of Free Garage Plans from Sheds Unlimited. We offer a few plans for you to download and review. But if you want customized plans for your building we ask for a small non-refundable deposit to get your drawings.
- Find a contractor to install your concrete pad. Learn about Pad Preparation here.
Now is the time to get started!